Friday, February 28, 2014

Generation Why!

After reading Zadie Smith’s, what seems to me, attack on everything Facebook I was very intrigued by one point she makes. “Shouldn’t we struggle against Facebook?”[1] is a question she poses near the end of the article.  Explaining how we are trapped in the world and mind of its creator Zuckerberg, mindlessly shifting our lives towards a virtual one by the hands of the  puppet master. She continues, “Yet what kind of living is this? Step back from your Facebook wall for a moment: Doesn’t it, suddenly, look a little ridiculous? Your life in this format?”[2] obviously I take a step back and consider it. However, what I find is not in concurrence with what Smith is saying; quite the contrary actually.

I believe Facebook does connect people in a fun, interesting, and self-gratifying way, yes, but more than just so. For those out there with less charismatic traits or cunning linguistic skills in person, I feel Facebook has created sort of an ice-breaker in the area of social interaction. Though perhaps face-to-face interaction has suffered somewhat as an effect of that, I would argue that Facebook is not solely to blame. As Smith argues her point of ways to reach out to people a far can happen by using other platforms such as e-mail and Skype,[3] I argue they are just as much to blame for our lives transcending into a virtual world as Facebook is. Also I would counter by saying, Facebook is more fun.   

I could care less about a film such as The Social Network in the way they portray Zuckerberg, accurately or inaccurately. If I wanted a more accurate picture of the man and what he has accomplished I would use the greatness of the internet. Be that as it may, I must say, that I am thoroughly impressed of how big Facebook is. The way in which a 19 year old was able to create such a massive online world, sustain it, and keep growing through entrepreneurial ventures (ex. WhatsApp); is truly an awe inspiring feat, worthy of all possible praise.





[1]               Zadie Smith, Generation Why?, The New York Re, http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/25/generation-why/?pagination=false, Online.
[2] Zadie Smith
[3] Zadie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment